This Roland TD-1DMK Electronic Drum Set review aims to challenge every aspiring drummer out there who thinks drumming is in their blood. In a compact kit that you can easily move around, it has 15 preset drum kits and 10 onboard coaching functions that you can use to track your (child’s) progress or level of motivation.
Roland V-Drums are some of the most popular electronic drums out there. Its legendary tension adjustable 2-ply double-mesh heads will allow for quiet and realistic drumming while maintaining the brand’s low-latency triggering. Certainly, owning a set can bring wonders to that hidden gift.
What You Will Find in the Box
- Module: TD-1
- Snare: PDX-8, 8-inch, dual-zone
- Kick: Rubber kick pad, double kick pedal compatible
- Toms: 3 x PDX-6A, 6-inch, single-zone
- Hi-hat: CY-5, 10-inch with choke
- Crash 1: CY-5, 10-inch with choke
- Ride: CY-5, 10-inch with choke
- Drum stand: MDS-Compact
Note: For other accessories (kick pedal and personal drum monitor), purchase separately.
Product Features and Technical Details
To provide you with more ideas of how functional the Roland TD-1DMK Electronic Drum Set is, here are its features:
- The module offers a friendly interface that is ideal for both beginner and intermediate players. You can connect this module directly via USB cable.
- The snare offers an expanded rim so you can enjoy comfortable and quiet rim-shots, including separate head and rim triggering. This makes for genuine performance.
- The head naturally absorbs the shock of the beater and you can expect low-noise as the rubber cover is combined with dedicated cushion.
- The PDX-6 is the smallest Roland V-Pad. It offers dual triggering from its mesh head and rim.
- The CY-5 is a 10-inch V-Cymbal that boasts of weight-balance and sensitivity. This guarantees consistent sensing wherever you struck the cymbal. It offers a natural swinging motion that you could expect from traditional cymbals. Note that the CY-5 is not a hi-hat controller and thus requires a floor controller. The CY-5 cymbal pad is a two-zone cymbal pad with a concentric mounting hole. This part is used as a free-swinging crash and as a ride.
- The MDS-Compact stand is ideal for the TD-17 Series V-Drums kits. It has all the hardware and pad mounting options and includes an updated all joint style tilter for better cymbal positioning.
Short Summary of Feedback from Existing Owners
Generally, the product has received above average positive feedback from customers. They love that they can purchase an electronic drum set that can cut down on the noise at a great price. In addition, the actual drums and cymbals are almost the same quality to their more expensive counterparts.
Be careful though, that the set does not include any kick pedal. Get a throne, keys, sticks and at least one kick pedal before you assemble so you won’t get disappointed.
Pros of the Product
- Dual-ply mesh heads with adjustable tension if you are looking for a quiet play
- Features 256 notes of polyphony
- With built-in metronome that features adjustable tempo for better timing
- Expressive drum sounds
- True-to-life drumming experience
- Rugged and portable – and sounds terrific
- Various sound choices
Cons of the Product
- Not possible to custom-assign sounds to each of the pads
- Expect no pedals but it comes with a kick pad for a double kick pedal.
- Has a limit in terms of sound level when used from the headphone jack
Who Should Buy This Product
This drum set is ideal for parents who want to nurture their kid’s drumming skills. It is a hassle-free drum that is easy to set up and intuitive to use. Students who are into drumming can develop themselves to become better by purchasing this set.
Finally, if you used to play before and you haven’t in a long time, this may be the perfect drum kit for you to come back and pursue your original passion.
Conclusion and Recommendations
Other key features that you can enjoy from this set include the built-in metronome that comes with adjustable tempo and timing settings, the record function, and 15 on board songs that cover several music genres to play along with. Buying a Roland drum set may be the best gift out there that can support your kid’s drumming for many years to come.
Certainly, this is one of the most-efficient, drum stands from Roland. It is stylish, has a compact footprint, and is even stable and strong enough to handle frequent set-ups and tear downs.