This Roland TD-17KVX Electronic Drum Set review is for those who are serious about learning how to drum or improving their craft.
Roland’s TD-17 series combines a TD-50-class sound engine and newly developed pads. This has resulted in an affordable kit that can get you authentically close to playing acoustic drums.
This kit is the Winner of Best Electronic Percussion award during the 2018 MusicRadar Best in Drums awards. Browse through what we have gathered for you and find out why it received a unanimous vote by a majority of fans.
What Will You Find in the Roland TD-17KVX Box?
- Drum sound module
- Snare: PDX-12 x 1
- Tom: PDX-8 x 3
- Hi-hat: VH-10 x 1
- Crash: CY-12C x 2
- Ride: CY-13R x 1
- Kick: KD-10 x 1
- MDS-4KVX drum stand
- Drumsticks (3 sets)
- 2 (AUX, CRASH 2) *1
- 3.5mm audio cable
- Austin Bazaar polishing cloth
- Accessories that include sound module mount, AC adaptor, connection cables, drum key, knob bolt, absorption plate, lockable tie, setup guide, and owner’s manuals
Product Features and Technical Details
See below the product features and technical specifications of the Roland TD-17KVX Electronic Drum Set:
- The Roland TD-17KVX weighs 24.8kg.
- The size is 1,300mm x 1,100mm x 1,200mm (W x D x H), including sound module, kick pad, kick pedal, cymbals, hi-hat stand, and drum throne.
- The TD-17 module includes 50 quality drumkits for several professional musical scenarios, such as Acoustic, Compact, Arena Stage, Studio, Fat Rock and Speed Metal.
- The VH-10 Hi-hat cymbal has a natural motion as well as the open/close detection feature. Plus, bow/edge sounds to help you execute traditional playing techniques perfectly.
- The cymbals (plus expansion possibilities) can help support individual playing style and performance.
- The KD-10 kick pad has the capability to absorb much of the noise but still keep that kick drum “thud,” which happens when a beater buries into a bass drum head.
Short Summary of Feedback from Existing Owners
Most of whom who bought the Roland TD-17KVX kit was quite satisfied with the set. A pretty good quality kit, according to them, especially for those who want to practice without disturbing their neighbors or household members.
BJ Lewinsky said he was “…very impressed with the sound and feel… sounds much better in person than it does on YouTube…”
The common downside some users mentioned is the disappointment of knowing that not all parts shown in the picture are included (add to that auxiliary percussion parts). Don’t forget to double-check the package inclusions so you know which parts will come with your package.
Pros of the Product
- Natural, rich and dynamic sounds
- The Prismatic Sound Modeling technology integrated into the sound engine helps deliver a superior drumming experience.
- The preset drum kits can be customized to match the drum sounds you prefer.
- The module can import samples to allow for triggering of original single-shot drum samples or the introduction of entire audio phrases, sequences or vocals.
- Realistic pads for an authentic and satisfying rebound
- Position and angle of each pad fully adjustable
- Ideal for playing at home or in an apartment setting
- Compatible with all standard kick pedals, single or double kick
Cons of the Product
- Not all parts are included – No bass drum and kick pedals – you need to buy them separately.
- Compact rack does not come with boom stands.
- Possible power supply fluctuations that cause a technical issue with distortion when plugging a music player into the aux line input to mix in music. Just request for a power supply replacement if this happens.
Ease of Learning
Improving your skills and techniques is hard work, thus the need for a kit that can help you achieve your goals. Fortunately, the Roland TD-17KVX set can help you get there, faster.
Aside from studying with a drum teacher, there are various online drum lessons or computer-based learning methods that you can take to help you improve – however you want to learn.
In this exercise, the drummer plays a simple pattern of three and accents each third note to help develop dynamic playing. Then, she plays this pattern in different ways across the whole kit.
Who Should Buy This Product:
The kit is ideal for both beginners and experienced drummers. Suitable for anyone looking for a kit in which sounds are able to reproduce the character as well as the tone of acoustic drums, with notably, lightning-fast response time.
Conclusion and Recommendations
The Roland TD-17KVX electronic drum kit can mirror your physical movement accurately, as well as your stick coordination and hand/foot control.
In addition, it also boasts of a range of built-in coaching functions to assist you in tracking your technique, measuring your progress, and finally, increasing your motivation. A must-have.